Alwin Copper Project
|Location:||South -- central British Columbia, 4km west of the Highland Valley Copper Mine.|
|Area:||Two claims, approximately 534 hectares|
Copper mineralization was discovered in the area in the late nineteenth century. Old records indicate 2000 tonnes of hand-sorted ore grading 9 -- 13%/Cu. In 1916, 1,875 tonnes of ore were treated, recovering a grade of 12.8%/Cu and 0.4opt/Ag.
In 1970 the OK Syndicate was formed, and a 500 t/day mill was constructed; mining was limited to block caving methods.
In early 1980 Dekalb Mining Corp. gained control of the property and restored the mill, upgrading its capacity to 700t/day. Total production amounted to 155,000 tonnes grading 1.54%/Cu. Extensive underground diamond drilling was completed, totaling 3,935 meters which consisted of 67 holes. In 1981, 11 shallow diamond drill holes totaling 905 meters were also completed, testing shallow IP anomalies near the existing resource. See technical report for resource
The rocks that dominate the Alwin property are quartz monzonite and granodiorite of the Bethsaida phase of the Guichon Creek Batholith. A thin sliver of the Bethlehem phase occurs along the western border of the property. Several dykes and small sills of later phases of the main intrusion have been mapped on the property. Later Tertiary volcanic rocks of the Kamloops Group have been mapped in the northern and central portion of the property.
Mineralization is dominantly chalcopyrite and pyrite, with lesser bornite, and minor chalcocite, molybdenite and pyrrhotite. In some areas of the property, the mineralization forms large clots of massive sulphides; however is generally 10 -- 20% sulphide content. On surface primary copper minerals have been oxidized, consisting of malachite, azurite and minor chrysocolla. The gangue minerals are mainly alteration minerals of clay, sericite, silica, biotite, chlorite, specular hematite, and calcite. In general, mineralization is noted over widths of 2 -- 12 meters, along strike -- 500 meters and down dip -- 250 meters.